Monday, June 1, 2009

The long-delayed bridal shower post

June 1st - and the countdown begins!

We're getting married later this month. It's crazy that it's already (almost) here - with all the planning and dreaming and prepping, it sort of felt like it was never actually going to happen, but we'd be planning it forever.

Life is insane, of course. The new jobs turned out to be hectic and stressful and chaotic and needing more than 40 hours a week, unfortunately. We're in what's called a rolling wave, which means we're working on planning out the next 6 months of the schedule and everyone's going crazy about it. The due date to the customer is June 5 so hopefully things will settle down soon (although this week promises to be nuts!). And we just moved to our new location in Andover (all this time we'd been working in Billerica while our permanent offices were being finished) so that adds a whole new layer of craziness into the mix. Plus some people are still in Billerica, so meetings are happening in both locations, which are at least 20 minutes apart. I have one meeting in Billerica from 3 - 4 and one in Andover from 4 - 5 today, so we'll see how that works.

Our weekends have been consumed with wedding-related activities, but still in seems like we have more in the "to do" pile than we have in the "accomplished" pile. It's frustrating and exhausting. But still, we've managed to get a lot done.

But to the purpose of this post: the bridal shower! Two weekends ago (already?!), we drove down to NJ which was at noon on Satuday. Since we had to go to work on Friday, we didn't want to make the 6-ish hour trip all that night. We stopped in Westport, CT for the night to visit my cousin and his wife, which very conveniently split our trip up into two three-hour chunks. It was really nice to visit them, since I hadn't seen them in a couple of years (!!) and since they won't be able to make it to the wedding, it was great for them to meet James. I'm so glad we were able to stop by.








Me and my cousin Dick


On Saturday we got up early and took off for NJ, arriving just as the shower was starting. It was a wonderful party. I wish my sister could have been there, though! There was tons of food and so many of my favorite people I didn't know who to hug first. It was amazing to see everyone, I wish the party could have been longer because I miss them all so much and some of them I hadn't seen in over a year. Eventually they sat me down on this throne my mother rigged up, made me wear a "bride to be" sash a la Miss America, and had me open a mountain of presents. It was really overwhelming to be at the center of attention like that, and to be opening presents in front of everyone, which is something I haven't done since childhood birthday parties. I was also overwhelmed by everyone's generosity, it was so wonderful to get such nice gifts!
















































All too soon, the party ended, and one by one people hugged me and left. James and my dad went to the tux lady to finalize the tuxes and get my dad measured, and my mom and I left for my gown fitting. The lady, however, wasn't there. No phone calls, no messages, just not there. Annoying. And frustrating. We rescheduled for the next day, which meant that James and I couldn't leave for Massachusetts until after that was finished. We'd been wanting to get out early, so that we wouldn't be getting home too late, but the lady had to go to church first, so that scuttled that idea. Anyway, eventually I got fitted and James and I drove back to Massachusetts. We had been in NJ for just over 24 hours. It was crazy, but well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment