The weekend of March 19-21, James and I went down to NYC for his birthday. It was the first time I'd stayed in a hotel in the city (and the second I'd ever stayed overnight in the city, the first time being with Kelly Barrows a couple years ago), and only the second time James had ever been to New York. The weather was lovely all weekend, which was awesome because we had a LOT we wanted to see!
We drove down to the city on Friday morning, arriving sometime around 2pm. I was really impressed by James driving through Manhattan - all of my memories of driving through the city involve my dad driving and being extremely stressed out and both of my parents freaking about all the traffic. I guess their fear of driving in the city rubbed off on me, because I was majorly intimidated at the thought of driving in Manhattan, thinking that it'd be WAY WORSE than ANYYWHERE else, and CHAOTIC and AWFUL but it turned out to be not such a big deal. I guess if you can drive in LA, you can drive anywhere. Anyway. We found our boutique hotel, which was on the corner of Madison and 27th. We checked in and our room was TINY - just big enough for a double bed, really. But it was very clean and modern and had obviously recently been remodelled so we were happy.
Then we set off on our first adventure! We got subway passes and went down to the Brooklyn
Bridge. We walked about halfway across, which was really all we had time for, but it was really fantastic. We both got a huge kick out of being on such an iconic bridge. Then we walked over to the WTC site, which is nearby. We walked by City Hall Park, which was a nice spot, then stumbled across the St. Paul Chapel, which we learned is the oldest surviving church in Manhattan. It's the church where George Washington first worshipped after being made president. Pretty cool. We wanted to pay our respects at the WTC site, which James had never seen but I saw on a college trip in 2002 or so. Unfortunately the whole site is hidden behind chain link fences that are covered in plastic, but we got to peek in and see how huge the hole in the ground is. It was encouraging to see the frame of One World Trade Center starting to rise up - they have probably a half dozen floors built so far.
Next we went up to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art. What a spectacular place. I could
The next day, we woke up in time to get the free (and surprisingly good) coffee and danishes in
the hotel lobby, and that combined with the homemade granola bars I'd packed made for a pretty satisfying breakfast (those tasty, tasty granola bars saved us from having to buy breakfast or lunch during our visit, which I think saved us quite a bit of cash). Our first adventure of the day was visiting the Museum of Natural History, but rather than take the subway right there, I took us to the other side of Central Park and we walked across. James had never been in Central Park before and I think he got a kick out it. It was lovely to stroll through the sunny park with trees and flowers beginning to bloom (it was also nice to get an early taste of spring, northern Mass is at least a couple of weeks behind NYC).
After about four hours in the natural history museum, which was definitely not enough time (especially if you want to see any IMAX shows or the planetarium show, which we didn't do), we
The next day we slept in (almost to our checkout time!) because we were so exhausted by all the walking we'd been doing, then we checked out and drove home. It was a fantastic weekend and I think a complete success. I'm pretty proud of how well it went because I organized the whole thing, planned out what we were seeing and when, got our reservation at the hotel, and navigated us through the subway. The next week though we were pretty wiped out!

No comments:
Post a Comment